Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2016 (SCVMM) is a management solution for the virtualized data center. You can use SCVMM to configure and manage your virtualization host, networking, and storage resources in order to create and deploy virtual machines and services to private clouds that you have created. SCVMM can also Manage and monitor heterogeneous and open systems, including Linux, Hyper-V, and VMware. Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2016 (SCVMM 2016) comes with new and improved features, including zero touch deployment, a new workflow for adding clusters, no downtime upgrades and production checkpoints management. In this article , we will discuss about the installation procedure of Virtual Machine Manager along with its pre-requisite installation.
Deployment of SCVMM consists of the following components:
- SCVMM management server : VMM service runs on this server. It processes commands and controls communications with the VMM database, the library server, and virtual machine hosts.
- SCVMM database : This is Microsoft SQL Server database that stores SCVMM configuration information such as virtual machine and service templates, and profiles.
- VMM console : you can use to connect to a VMM management server in order to centrally view and manage physical and virtual resources using VMM console
- VMM library and VMM library server: The catalog of resources (for example, virtual hard disks, templates, and profiles) that are used to deploy virtual machines and services. A library server hosts shared folders that are used to store file-based resources in the VMM library.
- VMM command shell : The Windows PowerShell–based command shell that makes available the cmdlets that perform all functions in VMM.
Pre-Requisites for Installing Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2016
- Installation of Virtual Machine Manager management server 2016 is supported on Windows Server core 2016 and Windows Server 2016 with desktop experience operating systems.
- Database support for VMM 2016 is supported on 64-bit version of Standard and Enterprise versions of SQL Server 2012 SP2, SQL Server 2014, SQL Server 2014 SP1, SQL server 2014 SP2 and SQL server 2016
- Create service accounts in the Active directory for SCVMM Service account (domain\svc-vmm), SQL service account (domain\svc-sql) and SCVMM administrators security group (domain\VMM-admins)
- Windows Automated Deployment Kit (ADK) available from here with the following features:
- SQL 2014 Command Line Utilities
Installing Pre-requisites 1 – Windows Automated Deployment Kit
Download Windows Automated and Deployment kit and start the installation as similar to all windows installers. Only Select “Deployment Tools” and “Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE)” and Click on Install.
Click on Close to complete the installation of Windows Assessment and Deployment kit.
Installing Pre-requisites 2 – SQL 2014 Command Line Utilities
Download SQL Server Command line utilities and start the installation as same as other windows installers by following the wizard
Click on Install to start the installation of Microsoft Command Line utilities 11 for SQL server.
Click on Finish to complete the installation of SQL command line utilities.
Installing Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2016
Once all the Pre-requisistes installations are completed, Download the SCVMM 2016 setup from the Microsoft website and Extract the folder. Double-click on “setup.exe” to begin the VMM 2016 installation.
Click on Install to start the Installation of Virtual Machine Manager 2016
Select the features to install on this computer. I will be installing both VMM Management server and VMM console on the same machine. Click on Next.
Enter the Product registration information and click on Next.
Accept the license agreement terms for the installation of SCVMM 2016 and click on Next.
Click on Next on Diagnostic and Usage data for collecting the data automatically by Microsoft.
Select “on” to use Microsoft to check for updates for System center Virtual Machine Manager 2016. Click on Next.
Select the Installation location of Virtual Machine Manager and click on Next.
Review the Prerequisite warnings. Since i have installed all the Pre-requisite before installing SCVMM 2016, I don’t see any errors. I only need to reboot the server and rerun the setup. Reboot your server, if any reboot is pending. If no errors or warnings , click on Next.
I have Microsoft SQl 2014 running on separate machine and I have created service account for my SQL database 2014. Enter the database server information and credentials to connect. Default New database name is “VirtualMangerDB”. Just go with the default name and click on Next.
Enter the SCVMM Service account information and credentials. This account will be used by VMM Service. Click on Next.
Accept the default port number until you have any port numbers conflicting and click on Next.
In the Library Configuration page, Specify the Path for VMM library share or accept the default one if you don’t have any. Click on Next.
Review all the installation settings of Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2016 and click on Install.
Install will take few minutes to complete. Once the installation is completed, Select the Checkbox “Open the VMM Console when this wizard closes” and click on Close.
VMM Console will open automatically. Enter the server information and credentials if VMM Management server is remote or Select Localhost:8100 to connect to locally installed VMM management server.
You will be able to see the home page of Virtual Machine Manager 2016.
That’s it. We are done with the installation of Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2016. We will be talking more about VMM 2016 in the upcoming posts. I hope this is informative for you. Thanks for Reading!!. Be social and sharing it social media, if you feel worth sharing it.