You can use System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM) to configure and manage your virtualization host, networking, and storage resources in order to create and deploy virtual machines and services to private clouds that you have created. Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2016 (SCVMM 2016) is a management solution for the virtualized data center. If you have multiple Hyper-V server, you need Virtual Machine Manager to manage the Hyper-V hosts. Adding Virtual Machine host (Hyper-V) host in SCVMM failed with error 425. We will discuss how to troubleshoot Add Virtual machine host failed with Error 415.
When I try to add the Virtual machine host (Hyper-V) into SCVMM. I received the below error 415 with the task “Add Virtual machine host” failed. It throws the error “Agent installation failed copying the VMMagent.msi file from SCVMM server to remote location of Virtual machine host (Hyper-v)
Below are the some of the recommendation to remotely Manage the Hyper-V host in SCVMM 2016:
- Ensure Hyper-v host is online and not blocked by a external firewall rules or Windows Firewall
- Ensure that file and printer sharing is enabled on the Hyper-v host and also allowed by a firewall rule
- Ensure WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) is enabled on remote Hyper-v host and not blocked by firewall
- Ensure the sufficient free space is available on the remote hyper-v host to copy the VMM agent on the virtual machine host
- Verify that the Admin$ share on remote Hyper-v host exists. If Admin$ share does not exist, restart the hyper-v host
- Ensure the SCVMM administrator has administrator privileges to manage the remote Hyper-V host
- Ensure Remote communication between SCVMM host and remote Hyper-V host is allowed either via IP address and DNS Name.
To admin the administrator User account on the Hyper-v host, Type”3″ on the Hyper-V server configuration option and specify the user account to add it into administrator group.
Execute the below command enables a previously disabled firewall rule to be active within the computer or a group policy organizational unit.
This cmdlet gets one or more firewall rules to be enabled with the Name parameter (default), the DisplayName parameter, rule properties, or by associated filters or objects. The Enabled parameter for the resulting queried rules is set to True.
Enable-NetFirewallRule -DisplayGroup “Windows Remote Management”
Enable-NetFirewallRule -DisplayGroup “Remote Event Log Management”
Enable-NetFirewallRule -DisplayGroup “Remote Volume Management”
Set-Service VDS -StartupType Automatic
Once firewall rules are enabled, try to access the Admin$ of remote hyper-v host from SCVMM server. Accessibility of Admin$ share is must to copy the VMM agent into the hyper-v host
Once all the pre-requisites are configured properly and all the network communication requirements are configured between hyper-v host and SCVMM server. Add Virtual Machine host task is completed successfully.
Once the Virtual Machine host (Hyper-V ) is added successfully, We will be able to manage the hyper-v host from the System Center Virtual Machine Manager management console.
That’s it. We are done with the troubleshooting and configuring pre-requisites to manage the remote virtual machine host (Hyper-v) from SCVMM Management console. I hope this is informative for you. Thanks for reading!!. Be social and share it in social media, if you feel worth sharing it.